Or something to that effect, at least. After the release of the White Dwarf codex of Sisters of Battle I completely and utterly lost all interest in Warhammer 40k as a gaming platform. I know that sounds kind of whiny, but I honestly didn't mean for it to happen, it just did.
I played in the 3++ Ladder before the codex came out and managed an amazing 0 Wins, 3 Ties and 1 Loss. I never really claimed to be a tournament level player, and this event really proved it for me. Halfway through the ladder tournament players were allowed to restructure their armies and, since a new codex had come out for me, I had to use that one. The end result of this was me staring at the codex for a while, then just decided not to continue competing. I felt like I'd been abandoned, and I really didn't feel like trying to fight tooth and nail for draws anymore, especially with an update that would require me to completely relearn army tactics.
I liked the idea of switching over to Warmachine, as the aesthetics for Khador really made me giggle with glee, but a lack of local players and a lack of time and money to invest has put me off of it. I would love to be reinvigorated with Warhammer 40k, but I just can't think of anything I want out of the war game anymore. I still enjoy the setting, and the RPGs, but the actual game itself leaves me feeling apathetic.
So, I present here a chance for anyone still reading this to help me find that lost magic again! Comments are open to advice!
Things I like about Warhammer 40K:
- Sisters of Battle: I love the Church Militant in all of its forms, I love badass chicks and I love FIRE!
- Inquisitors: This is a bit of an extension on the Church Militant and the fires, but also investigations!
- Protagonists: I can't get into an army or theme unless I have characters in mind and stories in my head.
- Getting Stuck In: I love combat. I love rushing in and beating everyone to death with my axes!
- Comedy: Sure, it's dark comedy, but it's there!
- Tons of Infantry: I like moving bodies on the board and gigantic volleys of fire, or vast tides of guys.
- A Solid Chance of Winning: Facing up against an army I literally have no chance against takes the wind out of my sails. I don't mind losing, I just hate getting completely wiped like a child.
- Space Marines: I just don't get them. They don't appeal to me. I have never given two hoots about space marine characters or space marine stories. The unbeatable genetically engineered badasses of the universe just seem bland to me. I don't like them in the fluff, I don't like them on the board.
- Chaos: So much of it seems like angsty teenager power fantasy to me that I can't get into it. None of it scares me, it just kind of annoys me.
- Coteaz: He just gets my goat and I dunno why. You could probably change this entry to the entirety of the Grey Knights codex, honestly.
- Gimmicks: I like a good, solid army list with a few tricks, but I sincerely dislike most stuff like FOC Changes and List Building Shenanigans.
- List Building: I think this one covers why I am no good at tournaments. I can't spend weeks or months tweaking lists. I just try to cover my bases with mixed forces and go, which is apparently a very bad idea.
- Spam: I can't fill one slot with all the same units kitted the same way, I can't. It makes my head hurt and just feels really boring, no matter how good it is on the board.